Buying a Home
Buying a home is probably the biggest investment you will make, with long-term financial ramifications. It calls for many informed decisions and for good advice from an EXPERIENCED real estate professional.
What can a Real Estate Agent do to help you buy the right home for you?
- They will help you determine how much home you can actually afford. Often, they can suggest additional ways to accrue the down payment and explain alternative financing methods. They can also introduce you to a mortgage counselor and arrange to have you 'pre-approved' which can improve your negotiating position and enable you to achieve your home-buying objectives faster and with less stress.
- Providing client level services, they can work for you as a buyer's agent and help negotiate the best price and terms for you. Or, they can serve as a 'disclosed dual agent', acting as a liaison between you and the seller to present offers and counteroffers until an agreement is reached.
- They will help you work out a realistic idea of the home best suited to your needs - size, style, features, location, accessibility to schools, transportation, shopping, and other personal preferences.
- They have access to a listing of all available homes, FROM ALL COMPANIES in the multiple listing system (MLS), can evaluate them in terms of your needs and affordability, and will not waste your time showing you unsuitable homes.
- They can often suggest simple, imaginative changes that could make a home more suitable for you and improve its utility and value.
- They can supply information on real estate values, taxes, utility costs, municipal services and facilities, and may be aware of proposed zoning changes that could affect your decision to buy.
- Although the law does not require an attorney to review documents or oversee real estate closings, they can provide you with a list of law practitioners to choose from. This is highly recommended and is another form of protecting your bests interests in the transaction.
- They can help familiarize you with the closing process and they will obtain closing figures in advance of closing for your review.
- They can provide you with a list of qualified home inspectors, pest inspectors, and help to coordinate inspection appointments.